TAKE TIME TO VOLUNTEER WITH YOUR FAMILY THIS HOLIDAY SEASON.
“It’s not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”
― Mother Teresa
THE HOLIDAY SEASON IS UPON US!
Instead of focusing on the frenzied pace of the season, now is a good time to decide how you want your family to celebrate. Should you fret about décor, secret Santa gifts, and holiday parties? Or are there other ways to make the season merry? Perhaps this year, you start a new family tradition. Serving others as a family helps everyone recognize the true reason for the season. Plus, your entire family will benefit.
According to generationon.org, here are 5 reasons to volunteer as a family:
- Kids and teens cultivate positive values, such as caring and empathy, and develop a commitment to service both now and in the future.
- By participating in volunteer activities, kids and teens feel appreciated and respected, as well as learn new skills in the process.
- Parents get to spend quality time with their children in a positive environment, while serving as role models, leading by example and passing on important values.
- Families increase their sense of cohesion, well-being, and connections to the broader community.
- The combination of ages and generations within a family means they have everything needed to make meaningful change in the community: energy, creativity, passion, knowledge and experience, as well as different perspectives and skills.
CHECK OUT THESE IDEAS FOR FAMILY HOLIDAY VOLUNTEERING IN MIDDLE GEORGIA:
1. FAMILY-2-FAMILY FOUNDATION CHRISTMAS ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
The Christmas Assistance Program is designed to be a supplemental program for service members who are struggling financially. There are many ways you can help sponsor a family. Opportunities include sponsoring a child/children, toy donations, clothes donations, and more.
2. FAMILY ADVANCEMENT MINISTRIES “GIFT OF LOVE” PROGRAM
If you are interested in sponsoring a child or a family for Christmas (purchasing gifts of toys and clothes), please contact Chris at the FAM office at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (478) 745-7165.
3. HOLIDAY MAIL FOR HEROES
Send a card holiday card to thank military vets and their families through the Red Cross.
4. RONALD MCDONALD HOUSE: MAKE A MEAL
Make a meal for families who have to spend the holidays away from their homes due to the illness of a child.
5. MACON RESCUE MISSION: DELIVER A HOLIDAY MEAL
Help deliver meals to the local homebound elderly, disabled, and Hospice patients. Each car will have a maximum of three stops. Pray with those that receive the meal.This season, MDS students have collected more than 8,000 canned and packaged food items for St. Peter Claver Catholic Church’s food pantry. There will be another opportunity to support the community during the Christmas season!
Please join us as we spread holiday cheer through service!
By Lauren Beaty, MDS Director of Alumni Relations