Parents are invited to attend a special presentation on Cyber-Safety from 8:30-9:15am on Tuesday, October 24th in the Zuver auditorium. Ms. Katie Koestner is a national expert on student safety and technology issues. She has appeared on the cover of TIME Magazine, The Oprah Winfrey Show, NBC Nightly News, CNBC Talk Live, CNN, Larry King Live, Good Morning America, Later Today, MSNBC, Entertainment Tonight and other national television programs. She is the subject of an HBO movie and has lectured at over 5000 schools in North America.
Her unique program contains the following elements:
- Multi-persuasion approach based on developmental level of student (peer pressure, identity development, self-esteem, bullying, fear of retaliation, business, character, values, future consequences, legal, and personal rights/responsibilities)
- Most current info on how the developing brain is impacted by technology, including social media and gaming, etc.
- Includes brain research on addiction
- Gender specific messaging
- Age-appropriate based on research for Elementary, Middle and High School students, teachers and parents.
The specific topics that will be addressed include:
- What to consider when getting started with social media
- Respectful communication
- Harassment vs. Bullying vs. Free Speech
- Exercising good judgment in responding to online and text messages.